Descaling a tankless water heater is important after some intervals, no matter if your heater is working fine. In addition, it’s not easy to descale a tankless water heater compared to any other traditional heater.
People are confused about how to descale a tankless water heater. So, here we provided some proven steps and guided on descaling a tankless water heater.
- How to Descale Your Tankless Water Heater Quickly
- Material And Items Necessary For Descaling Tankless Water Heater:
- Now Here Are the Steps to Descale Tankless Water
- Why Descale A Tankless Water Heater
- What happens if you don’t descale a tankless water heater?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Thoughts on Descaling Tankless Water Heater
How to Descale Your Tankless Water Heater Quickly
Before starting the procedure, make sure that you have all the necessary material for descaling a tankless water heater.
Material And Items Necessary For Descaling Tankless Water Heater:
- A submersible pump
- 5 gallons of water
- Rubber hose
- Vinegar or the solution which is specifically made for descaling water heaters (the solution is easily available in the market)
Now Here Are the Steps to Descale Tankless Water
- Set the water temperature at 150 Degrees F and allow the open water to run for 1 to 2 minutes
- Now turn off the water heater
- Close all the valves located in the outward or inward direction of the water heater. In this way, no water is allowed to enter the heater
- Now make your bucket ready for draining water
- Now drain the units carefully and see if the hoses are connected to the valves (If these are not connected, then carefully connect them)
- Again prepare the buckets with the descaling solution; you can add the solution manually
- Also, fill the bucket with the descaling solution quickly
- Open the closed valves that contain the isolated solution
- Now turn on the circulation pump and allows the solution to circulate for some minutes, i.e., for 10 to 15 minutes
- Drain the same isolated solution in the heater and allow the descaling solution to enter the heater carefully
- Open the valves and hose now so that water may enter inside the heater
- Drain the heater with open water once
Note: If you feel any hurdle in following the procedure, leave us comments. We are here to help you in every step!
Also, watch this complete video on this procedure!
Why Descale A Tankless Water Heater
Most of the time, scales are collected inside the tankless water heater valves because of the combination of calcium and lime build-ups. As a result, a heater does not work normally and cannot provide enough hot water or continuous water.
These scales allow the heater to consume more power, whether a gas tankless water heater or an electric tankless water heater. To avoid scaling, it’s necessary to descale it. Sometimes your heater works normally if it’s affected by scales. It is the reason that we recommend to descale your water heater after a specific interval. For example, you can implement it after months or 2-3 times a year.
What happens if you don’t descale a tankless water heater?
If you don’t descale, it will catch the calcium, magnesium, and lime build-ups, which is alarming. A tankless water heater is a source of hot water for all your home appliances, including the drinking water tap. The build-ups can reach all the appliances, including drinking tap and others water taps, due to which the risks of human health increase.
When humans drink the affected water, there are chances of the disease, including diarrhea. In addition, if you wash the dishes with the affected water, their shining decreases. Below is the picture which shows how a water heater can damage the nearest appliances and water areas.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should you descale a tankless water heater?
We recommend descaling a tankless water heater 2-3 times a year. However, at least once a year, this procedure should be implemented.
How much does it cost to flush a tankless water heater?
It costs only $150 to descale a tankless water heater.
Is descaler better than vinegar?
Yes, a descaler is specifically made for this purpose. However, vinegar is a good option f you don’t have a descaling solution.
How long does it take to descale a tankless water heater?
If you have ready material and follow the steps gradually, it will take only 5 minutes to descale it.
Final Thoughts on Descaling Tankless Water Heater
Hence, above is complete detail on descaling tankless water heater. All the steps we gave above are easy to follow. Make sure to descale your heater once in a year at least. In addition, if you don’t have enough experience to descale it, we recommend calling a professional or a plumber for this purpose.
In the end, if you have any questions about descaling tankless water heater, feel free to ask anytime and keep reading our latest blogs.